My Article at Tekkigurus.com describes how Microsoft develops and delivers different versions of OneDrive for different rings and operating systems. I explain the differences between the rings Insiders, Production and Deferred, as well as the frequency and mechanism of the updates. I criticize that Microsoft does not provide any information about what to test in the new versions, and offers a solution to download and install older or newer versions of OneDrive for testing purposes.
There I describe…
- Introduction to the topic and the problem of delayed publication of OneDrive versions on a Microsoft webpage.
- Description of the different rings of OneDrive and their characteristics in terms of functionality, error-proneness and rollout frequency.
- Recommendation for administrators to control the ring settings for their organization and have some administrators in the Insiders ring.
- Explanation of the different variants of OneDrive for different operating systems and processors.
- Description of the mechanism by which Microsoft controls the availability and download of new OneDrive versions for the devices.
- Note on the need to make certain servers reachable via TCP 443,80 to ensure a smooth function of OneDrive.
- Criticism of the high frequency and lack of information about the new versions in the Insiders ring.
- Solution proposal for the problem of downloading and installing older or newer versions of OneDrive, with a link to a page on the this blog.
- A reference to the Community Bot for OneDrive that can be installed in Teams.
And here you can read the complete article