OneDrive for Business | The end of the Windows 8.1 app
Was the app useless? The recessions of the OneDrive for Business modern app for Windows 8.1 let the developers get any trophies.
|The main problem of this app is and was that I could only access the data when I was online. No internet – no data. Therefore you may do all your work with Web-Browser. No way to synchronize the data locally with the app.|
And most people decide to install the Client program OneDrive for Business, which you may download here in 40 languages in 32- and 64 Bit versions.
Users, who have installed
- Office Professional Plus 2013
- Office 365 Enterprise E3
- Office 365 Midsize Business
- Office 365 Small Business Premium
already have installed this program.
- Microsoft has announced in the Office 365 portal, that they will remove the modern app OneDrive for Business in the store at 03/27/2015. Also they will do no more updates. Well, as mentioned above, tears will not flow here.
- Only owners with Windows RT operating system (Surface RT, Surface 2, …) may have no chance, because, the access can really only take place via the browser, because the above client downloads do not run on RT.
What is the background?
Why Microsoft has not expanded the app? Well, the answer to that is, simply:
Next Generation Sync Client (NGSC).
Microsoft has begun for some time with the development of a completely new client, which included the summary of OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. A client program, synchronization, but two different destinations in the cloud.
And with Windows 10 Preview, you can test it already, but in its first form, and only with OneDrive (personal).
… And since it seems logical to end the life of a poor app.