Microsoft has announced on ignite conference: NGSC. The Next Generation Sync Client.
on the Microsoft OneDrive Blog you see all the news
for those, who are working with Windows 10, you still have the new sync client on the machine. But it only work with OneDrive (Personal). Yesterday Microsoft announced the preview of NGSC for Windows an Mac. You may go to this Website and sign in for the waitlist of the new OneDrive for Business Sync Client Preview.
First an overview, which sync client will work with which OS to SharePoint Online:
There are also some limitations, but you will see, that all Sync clients will be replaced with the NGSC (in the near future)
Limitations this time:
- The NGSC is not running with Vista or Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 will be supported in Q1 2016.
- You will now have access to OneDrive for Business und OneDrive Personal
- You now will not have access to Team-Sites and documents in groups
- in the following weeks I will post to all these differences. Here now the changes, that will come with the new Sync client.
- selective choice of folders to sync.
- The limit to sync more than 20000 files no longer exist. ( OneDrive for Business)
- File length of 2 GB will be extended to 10 GB
even without the new NGSC there are innovations. Thus, the internal collaboration for both developer groups OneDrive (staff) and OneDrive for Business has had a positive effect.
The Web browser view now looks almost identical, and only a few places the user can recognize which OneDrive he has opened:
View: OneDrive for Business:
View: OneDrive (Personal)
The other new features then in the next blog posts